Change of Major
Thinking of changing your undergraduate major to mass communications? Changing your major requires a lot of thought and thorough research. Your major is an investment in your future.
We recommend that you carefully read the admission guidelines and requirements in the VCU Bulletin for the mass communications major.
Foundation vs. Concentration
If you change your major to mass communications, you are first placed into one of these four mass communication foundation concentrations:
- Advertising Foundation
- Journalism Foundation
- Public Relations Foundation
- Mass Communications (no foundation concentration)
Just as the name suggests, this is a base you build on before entering the degree-seeking major. You can't earn a baccalaureate degree in a foundation concentration.
Once you successfully complete foundation requirements, you'll petition into one of the following degree-seeking concentrations:
- Creative Advertising
- Strategic Advertising
- Broadcast Journalism
- Digital Journalism
- Media Production
- Public Relations
As a current VCU student changing your major to mass communications, you must:
- Complete MASC 101 with a minimum grade of C
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Complete MASC 201 with a minimum grade of C (if pursuing the advertising concentration)
- Complete MASC 255 with a minimum grade of C (if pursuing the media production concentration)
- Complete MASC 210 with a minimum grade of C (if pursuing the public relations concentration)
- Attend a change of major workshop
You can meet one-on-one with a Robertson School adviser only after attending a change of major workshop and successfully declaring the mass communications major.
Change of Major Module
The change of major process involves the completion of an online module. Completing the module is critical to understanding how to change your major to mass communications. Please note that change of majors are processed twice a year during Add/Drop each fall and spring semester.
You should complete the module when you have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher and you've successfully completed or are currently enrolled in:
- MASC 101 and MASC 201 (for students who want to study advertising)
- MASC 101 (for students who want to study journalism)
- MASC 101 and MASC 255 (for students who want to study media production)
- MASC 101 and MASC 210 (for students who want to study public relations)
Once you've completed the module, a Robertson School advisor will email you a tailored academic plan and we'll review the specific Robertson School requirements and policies. The module is designed to educate you on your responsibilities and to provide an accurate graduation timeline given the Robertson School's unique, sequential curriculum.
Plan ahead and complete your module to ensure timely registration.