Mariam F. Alkazemi, Ph.D.
Coordinator for Research and Visiting Scholars
T. Edward Temple Building, 901 W Main St., room 2208A
Office hours: To make an appointment, please reserve a time at calendly.com/mfalkazemi.
- Ph.D. Mass Communications, University of Florida, 2014
- M.A. Advertising and Public Relations, Michigan State University, 2009
- B.A. Journalism, George Washington University, 2007
Alkazemi is interested in the international flow of information. She incorporates research from political science, religious studies, sociology and business in her study of international communication. In particular, she focuses on examining the structure and content of media in the Arab world as well as studying journalism education models in the region. Her secondary area of interest is about the role of communication in improving healthcare facilities, healthcare outcomes and the perceptions of messages related to health.
- Alkazemi, M.F., Guidry, J.P., Messner, M., & Almutairi, E.* (2020). Public health on Instagram: Examining public health messages to audiences in the Arab Gulf states. Health Communication.
- Alkazemi, M.F. & Van Stee, S. (2020). Electronic direct-to-consumer advertising of pharmaceuticals: An assessment of textual, visual, and social media content of websites. Health Education Research.
- Bowe, B. J., Moscato, D. & Alkazemi, M.F. (2021). An appeal to shared values: Faith, advocacy, and persuasion in the Council on American-Islamic Relations’ (CAIR) public relations. Journal of Public Relations Research.
- Roman, N., Alkazemi, M.F., Stewart, M. (2019). Newspapers tweeting about terror: A world systems theory approach to comparing international newspaper coverage online. International Communication Gazette, 82(6).
- Alkazemi, M.F. & Youakim, C. (2021). Arab Worlds beyond the Middle East and North Africa. Washington, DC: Lexington Books.
- Member of Association for Journalism and Mass Communication
- Member of Editorial Board, Communication Law and Policy
- MASC/WRLD 359: International Media Coverage: The Middle East
- MASC 683: Strategic Communications in the Global Environment
- MASC 686: International Journalism
- 2021 recipient of the Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Science training grant
- 2020 Best Practices in Teaching Difficult Topics in a Polarized Society, 3rd Place
- 2020 Presidential Faculty Award for Community Multicultural Enrichment (PACME)
- 2020 recipient of the Deborah “Misty” Gerner Grant for Professional Development (“Gerner Award”) by the Women’s Caucus of the International Studies Association
- 2019 co-recipient of Doug Newsom Award for Global Ethics and Diversity, Public Relations Division of AEJMC
- Inside the diverse Arab community of New Jersey. The US state has been home to Middle Eastern immigrants since the 19th century, when Syrians arrived to work there in textile mills 6/16/2022
- Coronavirus on Instagram: Getting the Public Health Message Out The Arab Gulf State Institute of Washington, 2/23/22
- The Reconstruction of 'Meaning' in Post-War Kuwait,The Washington Institute for Near East Policy, 8/2/18
Alkazemi has experience providing consultations and key note speeches relating to my research. Some of the individuals she has consulted with are parts of organizations such as:
- Model United Nations
- Food and Drug Administration
- UCLA Anderson School of Management
If you are interested in consultation, please email her at email@example.com.