Dow Jones News Fund Internships
The Dow Jones News Fund offers paid summer internships for college journalists. Selected interns work at some of the most prestigious news organizations in the United States, including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and Reuters news service.
Seven Robertson School students received this prestigious internship in recent years.
The DJNF internships focus on five areas:
- Audience Engagement: Learn the art of social media and audience development at every step of the process. This includes understanding analytics and developing a strategy, SEO best practices, graphic design for social media, photo selection and editing, AP Style and news judgment, newsletters and news curation and finding user-generated content and trending topics on social media.
- Business reporting: Hone your news gathering techniques and learn about finance, the economy, labor relations, the stock market, regulatory agencies and commerce.
- Data journalism: Gain the essential skills and methods of computer-assisted reporting, including the ability to analyze and find compelling stories in data.
- Digital media: Learn to create digital products, produce multimedia components, manage social media, analyze web traffic, code with Python and devise strategies for engaging media consumers.
- Multiplatform editing: Prep for the challenge of designing and producing high-quality print and digital news products on deadline.
College sophomores, juniors, seniors and graduate students who are enrolled in school full-time as of the application deadline are eligible to apply for the college internship programs. This includes December graduates. Former professionals (those who have worked full-time on staff as a journalist for a year or more) in the U.S. or abroad are not eligible.
Selected students receive immersive, specialized, all-expenses paid training at universities before their internships, weekly salaries of at least $525 for a minimum of 10 weeks, and $1,500 scholarships for students and graduates with federal loans.
The deadline to apply for the 2024 summer internships is November 16, 2023. As part of the application process, students must take an editing test that covers grammar and word usage, current events (including placing them on a map), editing and headline writing. DJNF provides practice tests and test tips for those interested in applying.