Summer 2017: Dominion Energy Communications - Media Relations Intern (PAID -- Deadline Dec. 16)
Nov 30, 2016
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
The Dominion Energy Communications team enhances the company’s brand and reputation while building and protecting business interests in a manner consistent with Dominion Energy's purposes, values and principles.
The team collaborates with others to maintain and enhance a consistent positive corporate image and reputation through all mass media, including local, regional and state news media outlets and industry leaders, and employee communications and digital channels; develop effective short-term and long-term plans and identifying messaging opportunities, strategies and creative executions for Dominion Energy projects; manage relationships with internal and external partners and industry leaders; and mentor and support the development of colleagues so they are able to deliver a clear narrative around Dominion Energy's mission.
- Internship to work with the Dominion Energy Communications team in Richmond and travel as needed.
- Duties will include researching and writing news releases and advisories for the news media, pitching stories to the news media, crafting employee and digital communications and assisting with special events.
- Some evening and weekend work possible.
This internship is a paid internship and provides a monthly housing stipend to interns who qualify.
- Strong writing and public speaking skills. Good written communications is essential to this position
- Ability to decipher technical information and consolidate it into sound bites that could be readily understood by the general public
- Digital and Social Media Communications skills a plus
- Good organizational skills
- Self starter
- Attention to detail and ability to work on multiple projects
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Valid driver's license
- Must have a 2.5 GPA
- Strong writing and public speaking skills
- Must be pursuing a 4 year degree
- Must be a full-time student at an accredited 4 year college or university
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Ability to work potentially long, odd hours during major storms
Must be a full-time student at an accredited 4 year college or university majoring in Mass Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English or related field.
Must have a 2.5 GPA (cumulative) or higher. A 3.0 GPA (cumulative) is strongly preferred.
Must have an anticipated graduation date of December 2018 or later.
Some evening and weekend work possible.
Up to 75% of the time will be spent in an office environment.
Dominion is one of the nation's largest producers and transporters of energy, with a portfolio of approximately 25,700 megawatts of generation, 14,400 miles of natural gas transmission, gathering and storage pipeline, and 6,500 miles of electric transmission lines. Dominion operates one of the nation's largest natural gas storage systems with 1 trillion cubic feet of storage capacity and serves more than 6 million utility and retail energy customers.
Our company is built on a proud legacy of public service, innovation and community involvement. In addition to our core energy production, transportation and storage businesses, we invest in communities where we live and work and by practicing responsible environmental stewardship wherever we operate.
Diversity is linked to every aspect of our business to include how we attract, develop and retain our future talent. An inclusive environment encourages the coming together of different talents, thoughts and energies. The company’s commitment to employing military veterans through the Troops to Energy Jobs program is one way we are able to ensure workforce diversity.
We offer excellent plans and programs for employees. Employees are rewarded with a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package which may include: health benefits with coverage for families and domestic partners, vacation, retirement plans, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Dominion is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status.
You can experience the excitement of our company-it's the difference between taking a job and starting a career.
Certain positions at Dominion may involve access to information and technology subject to export controls under U.S. law. Compliance with these export controls may result in Dominion limiting its consideration of certain applicants.