Summer 2021: National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), Rappahannock Region - Communications / Social Media Intern (PAID)
Apr 13, 2021
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is a nonprofit, grassroots, self-help group which offers support and advocacy to persons with mental illness, families, and friends of people with various mental illnesses. Founded in 1979, NAMI has more than 210,000 members who seek equitable services for people with severe mental illnesses that are known to be brain disorders. Working on the national, state, and local levels, NAMI provides education about these illnesses, supports increased funding for research, and advocates for adequate health insurance, housing, rehabilitation, and jobs for people with serious mental illnesses.
- Gain field experience with major communication platforms, outreach, and marketing; helpful in advancing a career
- Enjoy knowing that your efforts are helping individuals with mental health challenges to gain access to resources, information, support, and improving health
- Stipend of at least $10/hr. based on skills, proficiency, and experience
- Possibility of expanding into additional roles in organization
- Convert information into eye-appealing news or educational postings on organization’s Facebook and Twitter pages every 1-2 days.
- Compose and “publish” a brief and engaging MailChimp newsletter each two weeks.
- Using contacts provided for potential local audiences, arrange about one presentation each month or two. Actual presentations will be provided by trained volunteers.
Duration: beginning as soon as possible and lasting for six months; renewable.
- Facebook and MailChimp analytics will continue to show significantly increasing number of followers or subscribers and subsequent engagement.
- The organization will receive participant inquiries/registration in programs offered
- The organization will receive inquiries from a potential volunteer about monthly.
- Reciprocal publicity agreements with related local organizations will be implemented.
Supervision and Support Plan: Local, state, and national arms of the organization will supply basic content. Two individuals on the NAMI Rappahannock leadership team will supervise and support the social media and MailChimp activities respectively. A professional volunteer already handles and updates the website (NAMIrapp.org.) Internal communication probably will be entirely electronic and as needed by mutual agreement.
How to apply: email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Name and contact information
- List of relevant skills, experience, and contact for at least one unrelated reference
- Images or screenshots of work you have done with description of your role in the work
- Short paragraph of why you are interested in the position