Summer 2020: The Virginian-Pilot Internship Program (PAID - Deadline Nov. 15)
Oct 29, 2019
Posted in: Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships
Interns are treated as regular newsroom staff members, learning on the job and helping to produce Virginia’s best news coverage.
Most internships take place during the summer when several 12-week internships are spread among these categories: reporting, videography/photography and our Audience team. Spring semester positions in 2020 also are available.
Indicate which position(s) you are interested in when you apply.
Reporting: Produce a regular and compelling mix of stories, including news and features. Expected to be adept at reporting, use of social media and video reporting.
Videography/photography: Cover one or more assignments a day; produce video and still photos. Should be able to capture compelling images that tell a story with accuracy and authenticity, and to gather accurate caption information.
Audience team: Connect with our audiences through social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Create compelling packages of content for online; create basic multimedia graphics and work with reporters and editors across the newsroom.
Data journalist: Have a nose for computer-assisted reporting and storytelling? The Virginian-Pilot is working with the Dow Jones Newspaper Fund to find a data journalism intern for the summer. You can apply through the DJNF by Nov. 12 and state you are interested in placement at The Virginian-Pilot. It is open to juniors, seniors and graduate students. It will include a week of training with journalists with IRE before you start at The Pilot.
- Write or perform job precisely and accurately.
- Meet deadlines.
- Collaborate with editors and other team members on stories and story brainstorming.
- Travel for news coverage as required. Applicants must have a car. We reimburse mileage.
- Must be enrolled at time of application in a degree-granting program at an accredited college or university.
- Generally aimed at, but not limited to a junior or senior enrolled at time of application in a degree-granting program at an accredited college or university. Enrollment in a journalism concentration is a plus.
- Experience working at a college publication, either print or online.
- A previous internship or freelance experience at a daily newspaper or professional news website.
How to apply
Apply by emailing Andi Petrini at email@example.com. Summer 2020 internship applications are now being accepted through Nov. 15, 2019, for early consideration, and a rolling deadline is being offered for applicants interested in interning during a spring or fall semester as well. Please specify your interest in your application.
Submit a cover letter, resume and the names of three references.
Reporters should include PDF copies of eight to 10 published work samples. You may also add links to your application if you have online-only samples.
Photographer/videographers should include at least 20 samples of published photographs. Upload videos or send as public links in your application. Zip file with images are suggested.
Feel free to include any good work you’ve done, even if it doesn’t fit the “traditional mold.”
A cover letter should include:
- Why you wish to intern for The Virginian-Pilot or Daily Press.
- What you are interested in doing during your internship (reporting, online/digital, photography, video, etc.).
- Your goals and expectations for the internship.
- The dates you are available.
- Selection will be based on portfolio, experience (college and professional), cover letter and references. Finalists will be interviewed.