Summer 2020: The Valentine - Exhibition Design Intern (PAID -- Deadline March 8)
Jan 27, 2020
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
The intern will work with Valentine curator Meg Hughes and collaborating artist Chaz Barracks to create a brand identity and other graphic design products (text panels and collateral materials) for the exhibition “DONT TOUCH MY HAIR RVA,” which explores the complexity of Black hair as an expression of identity, community and Black joy.
The intern should expect to:
- Learn how public history can explore contemporary issues within a historical framework.
- Become familiar with standards for museum exhibit design and designing in 3-dimensional spaces
- Explore how to create a brand identity for a community-based project to which a diverse group of audiences will respond and that can be used in a variety of print and digital environments, including but not limited to university spaces, Black hair salons and barbershops, and or community centers that serve Black queer livelihoods.
Anticipated outcomes/products can include:
- Creation of exhibition logo, color palette, text panel designs and digital and print collateral materials.
- Assist with development of exhibition design and image/object presentation installation strategies.