Summer 2020: TechGirls (Washington DC) - Social Media Coordinator (PAID)
Feb 7, 2020
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
TechGirls is a U.S. Department of State initiative and exchange program designed to inspire young women from Central Asia, the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), and U.S. to pursue higher education and careers in technology through hands-on skills development. It is administered by Legacy International in partnership with Virginia Tech, Center for Enhancement of Engineering Diversity.
PROGRAM OVERVIEW: http://www.legacyintl.org/our-programs/techgirls/
Work as part of the TechGirls team to create a safe, secure, and rich learning environment. Primary responsibilities include: Designing and managing the quality and presentation of information on social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Whats App) and fulfilling the TechGirls development and communications goals. Oversee photo-documentation; collaborate with the team to get valuable content and assist with any press related matters. As part of the team you will identify and assist girls who may be delivering public presentations and or social media messages. You will work with each country group to provide content for the US Embassy in their country. On high profile days such as the Capstone event you will collaborate with events management and Public Affairs Section of the US Department of State.
- Prior experience working with teens as a teacher or mentor.
- Previous experience in marketing, public relations or communications.
- Demonstrated use and comfort navigating Web 2.0 sites and tools, including blogs, social networks, video and photo sharing, etc. (personal or professional) with solid understanding of the Internet and social media marketing best practices.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Fearless attitude towards technology and a willingness to learn.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and strong social skills when interacting with online audiences.
- Have a passion for tech and gender empowerment.
- Knowledge of digital storytelling preferred.
- Prior international travel a plus but not required.
- Are professional, flexible, resilient, resourceful, and pro-active;
- Are caring, warm, and friendly;
- Genuinely enjoy spending time with high school students;
- Have a high level of social and emotional intelligence;
- Have strong group building and facilitation skills;
- Are willing to put their students’ learning and development ahead of their own experience;
- Are ready for an intense, challenging, and rewarding summer;
- Come from a wide variety of backgrounds;
- Are, above all, educators and facilitators.
Ability to effectively communicate with youth and staff, and to provide necessary instruction and training
Ability to communicate to youth and staff the safety regulations and emergency procedures in case of an emergency (during daily programs, in hotel or on public transport)
Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to area
Cognitive and communication abilities for large, complex event management
Ability to operate essential office equipment needed to carry out responsibilities (i.e. telephone, digital camera, computer, photocopy machine).
Ability to move furnishings (tables, chairs) & lift supplies up to 25 pounds.
Compensation: $3,000. PLUS food, lodging and transportation throughout the exchange (July 1 - Aug 2) as part of the group’s exchange arrangements.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume with “TechGirls Social Media Coordinator” in the subject line to Hayley Pottle, email@example.com