Summer 2018: USC&A Event Services - Social Media & Event Intern
Apr 4, 2018
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
VCU’s office of Event Services focuses on bringing centralized scheduling and event management to VCU. Event Services oversees the administration of the university’s central event and meeting management system. The office is also responsible for coordinating the logistics and planning of university events during the academic year.
Event Services is seeking an intern/s for Summer 2018 and/or Fall 2018. Interns need to be enthusiastic, motivated, self-starters. Candidates must be a junior or senior in a VCU program that compliments event planning and/or public relations.
- Assist with the expansion of the university’s event and meeting management software. This involves gaining an understanding of university scheduling policies, and event/meeting management practices. Sitting in on meetings with various units on the expansion of the system. Data gathering and entry of facility and policy information to continue with system expansion.
- Meet with clients to help execute event logistics. Order items from vendors. Design room layouts. Be on-site on event days to ensure proper event execution.
- Manage events for VCU’s historic MCV Alumni House, all Monroe Park academic spaces and all VCU outdoor spaces. Intern will be responsible for watching over some of these events. This will require occasional weekend and evening availability.
- Develop a social media strategy for the department.
- Increase interaction on all forms of department social media – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
- Assist in the development of other marketing tools for VCU’s facilities and events.
The successful candidates should have the following skills:
- Ability to work in a changing environment, for a department that is undergoing development.
- Ability to work professionally with students, staff, faculty, and clients of the university.
- Ability to successfully meet deadlines.
- Ability to work as part of a team, while also being able to complete some tasks autonomously.
- Social media and marketing experience.
- Proficiency with computers. Familiarity with basic computer software products, and ability to easily learn new software products.
Event Services is located in the VCU University Student Commons and Activities Building at 907 Floyd Ave.
Please email cover letter, resume and references to: