Summer 2018: University Public Affairs - Graphic Design Intern
Apr 24, 2018
Posted in: Internships & scholarships, Public Relations internships
VCU’s University Public Affairs (UPA) department leads public information, strategic internal and external communications and reputation management efforts across VCU and VCU Health. The office fulfills the public information obligations of the university as a public institution and develops and executes strategic communications in collaboration with the other Division of University Relations departments of marketing, special events and programming, video and photography. UPA services include news and public information, media and public relations, strategic communications planning, social media, issues management and emergency communications.
As a member of public affairs, this position would assist the department with creating illustrations and infographics for use on VCU’s main social accounts as well as on the VCU News site.
Internship Job Duties -
- Create illustrations/infographics for VCU’s main social media accounts, VCU home page features and VCU News stories as needed.
- Ex: infograph for bike race recap home page feature, illustrations for President’s Annual Report, illustrations for Homecoming, Snapchat on-demand filter creations, etc.
- Participate in strategizing and creation of visual content for the university’s Instagram and Snapchat social media accounts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Artwork created for the internship will be owned by VCU but can be used for portfolio purposes.
- Experience in Adobe Suite – Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.
- Excellent copyediting skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledge or interest in advertising/journalism/marketing/social media a plus but not required
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to work effectively under deadlines and juggle several assignments
Please submit a cover letter showcasing your background in relationship to this job and how it makes you a good fit for our department. (Think specific skills, qualities, knowledge and interests.) Give one or two examples of related experience. Please email the document to Megan Schmidt – email@example.com .
We will be contacting promising candidates by email to arrange interviews as soon as possible. At the interview, we’ll be wanting to see some examples of your artwork and style.