Summer 2018: North Point Plantation - Marketing & Promotions Intern
May 9, 2018
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Public Relations internships
North Point Plantation
1273 North Point Farm Rd.
King William, Va. 23086
North Point Plantation is an 18-month old special events venue, property rental, and bed & breakfast located on the Mattaponi River in King William, Virginia. The former 18th c., 3,000 acre tobacco plantation is forty minutes northeast of Richmond, Va., and two hours south of Washington, D.C. The Georgian-style main house, completely updated yet with many original features, dates from 1740 and now sits on about 15 riverfront acres. Since May 2017, North Point has hosted five beautiful weddings and is currently booking weddings for 2018.
North Point Plantation LLC’s owner aims to make North Point a year-round venue. In addition to hosting more weddings, she foresees North Point as the perfect venue for yoga, business, artistic, and religious retreats; academic and corporate meetings/conferences/workshops; special parties; and film and photo shoots. (Our first yoga retreat took place in February 2018.) Property rental for family reunions and other gatherings will remain a core focus.
Because North Point Plantation LLC is a young business with an owner who is inexperienced in marketing, this internship offers the student a great opportunity to contribute as much as he/she would like in terms of both creative ideas and implementation of those ideas. And because North Point has many potential markets, including engaged couples, Civil and Revolutionary War tourists and academics, families, yoga practitioners, artists, general travelers, to name a few, the student will gain wide experience tailoring effective marketing efforts to these different markets.
This internship will give the student actual job experience that will prepare her/him for a real-working environment in the hospitality industry. The student will gain experience in both the front and back of house operations.
North Point Plantation’s owner is hands on. She seeks an intern with strong interpersonal and writing skills who can work independently yet take direction. Intern may establish his/her own benchmarks for success in concert with owner.
Duties and Responsibilities
The overall goal of the internship is to help market North Point Plantation to the public and increase bookings.
- Increase North Point’s presence on the Virginia Tourism Corporation’s web site portal. (This web site offers tremendous marketing opportunities for North Point to promote specials, suggested guest itineraries, etc., but we currently have a small presence on it.)
- Suggest marketing-savvy ways that North Point Plantation’s web site, www.northpointplantation.com can generate more bookings, whether it be with special offers, guest packages keyed around holidays, anniversaries, etc.
- Identify potential partners such as area wineries, recreation-related businesses, museums, etc., where North Point can place its rack cards and offer reciprocal discounts.
- Assist in tweaking wedding packages and yoga retreats to make them more appealing to Millenials.
- Review North Point Plantation’s profiles on wedding web sites where we currently have profiles: The Knot and Wedding Wire with the aim of ensuring their optimal appeal.
For additional views of North Point Plantation see the following:
Follow North Point Plantation
Apply: Email Rhonda Sonnenberg at email@example.com