Summer 2017: VCU Office of Development & Alumni Communications - Editorial Assistant
May 19, 2017
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
Development and Alumni Communications serves the communications needs of the universitywide development effort. The office coordinates and implements the cohesive communications strategy for the Office of Development and Alumni Relations and serves as a liaison between the campus development offices and the Office of Public Affairs.
As a member of the Development and Alumni Communications team, the editorial assistant will be responsible for creating timely and compelling communications in support of the university’s fundraising and alumni relations efforts. Within the context of university, campaign and alumni relations goals, the editorial assistant will research and write donor stories for the fundraising website, research and write alumni profiles for the e-newsletter and alumni magazine and help with other tasks as assigned. Must be willing to work four days a week, roughly 32 hours. The editorial assistant is a shared position reporting to the associate director of development and alumni marketing and communications and the assistant director of donor communications and marketing.
- A junior- or senior-level student pursuing a degree in mass communications or marketing
- Strong interviewing and writing skills
- Highly self-motivated, ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working in a diverse environment
- A strong sense of professionalism, punctuality and a willingness to learn
- Some knowledge of AP style helpful but not required
How to apply
This internship is for summer 2017 and available for either credit hours or pay, or both. Intern must be available to work four days a week or roughly 32 hours and must schedule regular hours.
To apply for the internship, submit a portfolio containing:
- A resume
- A cover letter explaining how the internship fits into your career plans
- Two complete nonfiction pieces of any length (i.e., articles, news releases, etc.)
Submit your portfolio to:
Kristen Caldwell, associate director of development and alumni marketing and communications, at email@example.com.