Summer 2017: Pilot Media - Journalism Interns (Deadline Nov. 15)
Nov 8, 2016
Posted in: Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships
The Virginian-Pilot is accepting applications for its summer internship program. Located in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, our newsroom of award-winning journalists is eager to help you learn. The region has lots of stories to tell, and from Day 1 you’ll be going after them. Our coverage area includes five cities, miles of beaches, the country’s largest Navy base and more.
The Pilot will have five summer internships spread among these categories: reporting; copy editing; videography and photography; page design; and web and social media producing. (We may have more than one in some categories and none in others) For 12 weeks, these interns will function as regular newsroom staff members, learning on the job and helping produce Virginia’s best news coverage. Indicate which position/s you are interested in when you apply.
Internship requirements (Deadline To Apply: November 15, 2016)
- Reporters: Produce a regular and compelling mix of stories, including news and features. Expected to be adept at reporting, use of social media and video reporting.
- Videographer/photographer: Cover one or more assignments a day; produce video and still photos. Should be able to capture compelling images that tell a story with accuracy and authenticity, and to gather accurate caption information.
- Copy editor/news editor: Safeguard accuracy of stories for all platforms; spot and fix holes in stories; spot inaccuracies in maps and graphics; find the essence of each story and express it in headlines and cutlines. (Note: This intern is selected through the Dow Jones Fund at www.newsfund.org. Apply through that link. When you apply, mention in your essay that you are particularly interested in working at the Pilot! )
- Page designer: Design print-edition pages, graphics and illustrations; write display type, including headlines, promos and fact boxes; create visual impact using sometimes disparate or hard-to-obtain elements.
- Digital editor: Create compelling packages of content for online; create basic multimedia graphics and work with content partners across the newsroom. Connect with our audience through social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram and SnapChat.
-- Write or perform job precisely and accurately.
-- Meet deadlines.
-- Collaborate with editors and other team members on stories and story brainstorming.
-- Travel for news coverage as required. Reporter and photographer applicants must have a car.
-- Must be enrolled at time of application in a degree-granting program at an accredited college or university.
-- A junior or senior enrolled at time of application in a degree-granting program at an accredited college or university. Enrollment in a journalism concentration is a plus.
-- Experience working at a college publication, either print or online.
-- A previous internship or freelance experience at a daily newspaper or professional news website.
Required skills (DEADLINE: November 15, 2016)
Apply online through the link or go to www.mypilotmedia.com. Click on Careers at the bottom of the page.
1. Submit a cover letter, resume and the names of three references.
2. Reporters and page designers should include PDF copies of eight to 10 published work samples. You may upload samples at the online portal. You may also add links to your application if you have online-only samples.
3. Photographer/videographers should upload their portfolio, including at least 20 samples of published photographs. Upload videos or send as public links in your application.
4. Feel free to upload any good work you’ve done, even if it doesn’t fit the “traditional mold.” The limit on attachments is 5 attachments total. The size limit is 10Mb. Zip file with images are suggested.