Summer 2017: Hitting Cancer Below the Belt - Communications Intern
Apr 25, 2017
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Public Relations internships
Hitting Cancer Below the Belt (HCB2) is a cancer prevention nonprofit organization based in Richmond, VA and serving the Richmond area and surrounding counties. We offer early detection services to the uninsured population, supportive services for cancer patients and survivors, and prevention education to the general community. HCB2ʻs awareness raising events help to fund our work in the local community.
Assist Hitting Cancer Below the Belt (HCB2) in the planning and follow up of two community events focused on colorectal cancer prevention; the Boxer Brief 5K and the Blue Gene Bash. The intern will help to expand HCB2ʻs public image, support the management of social media sites, and support the management of sponsors and donors. The intern will have the opportunity to contribute to HCB2ʼs overall development strategy by lending support of the two events listed above.
The internship schedule is 10 hours per week with the opportunity to work at home. There may be some evening meetings to attend and afternoon teleconferences. The internship will begin late-May and end early August. 2017. The exact start and completion dates will be arranged in collaboration with HCB2ʼs executive director.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Computer, Apple preferred.
- Familiarity with Wordpress.
- Familiarity with the Adobe! Suite, including Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Familiarity with social media vehicles (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube).
- Ability to work in a deadline oriented environment.
- Ability to research and understand best practices in the utilization of social media.
- Experience taking photos and video.
- Clear oral and written communication skills; ability to be creative and flexible.
- Working with the HCB2 marketing and events committee to ensure proper social media promotion before and during events.
- Working with the HCB2 development committee to manage donor and sponsor relationships.
- Helping to increase HCB2 visibility among the millennial population with the use of photos, images, and colorectal cancer facts.
- Assisting the HCB2 marketing committee to support a strong presence in community.
How to apply
- Interested candidates may send a cover letter and resume to info@HCB2.org. Please place VCU Intern in the subject line.
- Questions regarding HCB2 can also be directed to the above email address.