Summer 2017: Fanfare Magazine - Content & Advertising Editor Intern
Mar 20, 2017
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
Fanfare Magazine is seeking a capable intern to serve as Content and Advertising Editor from mid-May until late November 2017. The intern will gain practical experience in the fields of advertising, communications, journalism and public relations while fulfilling educational requirements and goals.
Brief overview of the organization
The Fan District Association is a non-profit dedicated to preserving, restorating and improving the Fan neighborhood surrounding VCU. The FDA represents residential owners, renters, businesses, educational and religious entities within our boundaries at the local and state level. Fanfare Magazine is the quarterly magazine of the FDA since 1961 that will publish two more 2017 issues. Paper copies of Fanfare are mailed and hand distributed to over one thousand ultra-local families, sponsors, and community partners. More information is available at the Fan District Association’s Facebook and the most recent issue of Fanfare can be found on the main page of our website, fandistrict.org.
Publication time table and internship description
Research, Writing, and Editing Phase:
(Mid-May to early June for the Summer Issue. Late August to early October for the Thanksgiving Issue)
- compile a google document with ultra-local news, media briefings, and restaurant openings
- assemble publicly available police data and crime information
- use the above data to pen original content in the format of previous issues
- work with the state senator for the Fan, Jennifer McClellan, the VCU strategic planning office, our issue’s photography specialist, and the Richmond cartoonist, RVA Coffeestain
- solicit sponsorships from non-profits and small businesses
- manage, edit and proofread community contributors
Design, Production, and Distribution Phase:
(Mid-June to late July for the Summer Issue. Mid-October to Thanksgiving for the Thanksgiving Issue)
The content and ad deadline for public Fanfare submissions is June 1st for the August issue and October 1st for the Thanksgiving issue. After this point, the weekly responsibilities will change to arranging content with our graphic designer, coordinating production with our print house, and planning distribution with our mailing house and door-to-door campaigns. After the distribution in August, we will review plans for the next edition of Fanfare, and repeat the steps above to produce the next issue.
Preferred qualifications for applicants
- Flexibility and drive to complete independent, remote work totaling at least two hours per week
- Reliability to attend mandatory one hour weekly check-in meetings to:
- review projects and gain positive feedback and constructive criticism
- set the next week’s agenda, goals, and objectives
- consider new ways to improve the publication’s advertising, journalism and PR
How to apply
Send a resume, an academic writing sample, and your contact information to Fanfare@Fandistrict.org.
We are flexible with generating internship opportunities and can probably work something out so you can have communications-related duties, gain consistent and valuable feedback, and satisfy your educational requirements. Please reach out and join our positive publication that makes a difference.