Spring 2020: Virginia Historical Society - Marketing Intern
Feb 12, 2020
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Public Relations internships
The Virginia Museum of History & Culture is the oldest cultural organization in Virginia, and one of the oldest and most distinguished history organizations in the nation. While the museum collects, cares for, and tells the story of the commonwealth’s complex history, it is also on a path forward to do more and be more for all Virginians.
We are seeking a Marketing Intern beginning in February 2020 to help support our staff in researching and writing content for website, social media, and print and digital publications.
Our ideal candidate will have a passion for history, excellent writing and research skills, and knowledge of/experience with marketing and digital media. They will be comfortable working autonomously, taking initiative, and making adjustments based on shifting needs.
The Marketing Intern must use good judgment, representing the museum in a professional and respectable manner. They should offer suggestions to increase public awareness of the museum, elevate its brand, and increase exposure of events and exhibitions.
- Monitors 2020 Commemoration email inbox to ensure all event submissions are received and questions answered
- Updates website content, including but not limited to the 2020 Women’s Commemoration landing page
- Researches information for content on website and social channels
o Specifically, researches and writes content for future #OnThisDay posts and 2020 Commemoration posts
- Potentially assists with development of LOVEworks sign for the museum including initial concepting, working with local artists, project management, and grant proposals
- Assists with distribution of posters and other collateral around the city
- Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Necessary:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (please submit a writing sample along with resume)
- Ability to work autonomously and proactively
- Must be outgoing and comfortable cold calling/emailing
- Must possess great attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to prioritize and thoughtfully plan work activities combined with a willingness to adapt and flex quickly to changing needs
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to connect with diverse audiences and partners
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Undergraduate student in a degree program for marketing, communications, media relations, history, or related field required, with a 3.0 GPA or higher
- Experience using multiple social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- High level of comfort using new technology interfaces
- Solid grasp of grammatical rules, professional voice, and great attention to detail
- Experience with Drupal and/or MailChimp a plus
- Experience in video or photography a plus
- Knowledge of/interest in Virginia history a plus
Flexible work hours around student’s schedule - one semester beginning in Spring 2020. 10-12 hours per week on average with the potential for limited weekend and evening events.
Please submit a resume and writing sample at :