Spring 2020: VCU Biology Department / RVA Environmental Film Festival - PR/Advertising (Social Media) Intern (Deadline Dec. 2)
Nov 19, 2019
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Public Relations internships
The Biology Department at VCU is hosting a campus film screening event in February 2020. This environmental film screening event is a collaboration with a local non-profit organization (RVA Environmental Film Festival)(check here for our 2019 collaboration). A student campaign (Check here for the article about 2019 Kick the Straw campaign) is also organized to address environmental issues and bring up environmental awareness in VCU community during the campus film screening event.
The Biology Department is seeking two enthusiastic interns in Public Relations and/or Advertising (Social Media) to help promote the 2020 VCU campus film screening event and VCU student campaign. We are looking for students who are highly motivated with a passion for our environment, wildlife and sustainability.
The ideal candidates are expected to develop advertising strategy to promote the screening event and student campaign, create and manage social media to engage RVA and VCU communities on Facebook, Instagram, twitter and other social media outlets. The interns will work closely with Biology faculty and students, VCU student organizations, RVA Environmental Film Festival, and possibly other VCU Departments and Virginia colleges and univesities.
General job duties of Advertising/Social media Interns:
• Develop and implement social media marketing campaign across all platforms for VCU campus event and student campaign
• Willingness to work as a team with the confidence and collaborate with other team members • Identify social media tracking tools to monitor the impacts of likes, reach and engagement for all social sites.
• Must have experience with Twitter, Instagram & Facebook.
General job duties of Public Relations Interns:
- Develop content and implement strategies to promote VCU campus event and student campaign across all platforms (such as biology website, Facebook, TelegRAM, etc.)
- Help organize VCU campus event and manage VCU student campaign
- Prepare and post information of film event and student campaign as basic news releases
- Take and upload digital photos of the events to the website, Facebook, Instagram, etc..
- Assist in supporting the Event’s social media efforts as needed, including filming panel discussion during the event.
- Strong writing & communication skills
- Should be able to work alone and as part of a team
- Ability to work on deadline
- Ability to work on computers and use a digital camera
- Some simple graphic design skills and the ability to use or to learn PhotoShop
- Experience using Flickr, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and other mainstream social media
This internship is offered for spring semester, 2020. Hours are flexible but require a minimum of 100 hours per semester (with the busiest time- about 10-15 hours per week- in January and February). This is an unpaid internship.
To apply please send the following in ONE pdf file to Dr. Ching-Yu Huang, Biology Department at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 2 (Monday)
- Cover letter (one page) detailing your interest in the specific internship and how this experience will help you reach your educational and career goals, and your scheduling availability (start/end dates, day/times available).
- 2 writing samples
- Contact information for 2 references.