Spring 2020: Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden - PR & Marketing Intern (Deadline Nov. 30)
Nov 11, 2019
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Public Relations internships
The PR department strives to build the Lewis Ginter Botanical brand through all communication and concentrates efforts on publicity or “free” exposure for the Garden. By supporting all areas of the Garden, public relations and marketing works to entice people to visit, and to engage them in a relationship with the Garden.
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden connects people through plants to improve communities.
GENERAL JOB DUTIES OF PUBLIC RELATIONS INTERNS:
- Work with director of public relations and public relations coordinator to help meet needs of reporters and photographers.
- Help update calendar events on the Garden’s website
- Post Garden info to websites such as tourism sites and media calendars
- Research and write basic news releases
- Take and upload digital photos of the Garden
- Assist with events as needed
- Provide general office and project support for the PR & Marketing Dept.
- Assist in supporting the Garden’s social media efforts as needed, including filming and edit movies.
- Write blog posts and tell stories for the Garden’s blog.
- Strong writing & communication skills
- Ability to work on computers and use a digital camera
- Some simple graphic design skills and the ability to use or to learn PhotoShop & WordPress
- Should be prepared to work in a business environment
- Ability to work on deadline
- Should be able to work alone and as part of a team
- Experience using Flickr, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+, blogging is helpful
INTERNSHIP TRAINING INCLUDES:
- Press release formats and AP style
- How to write to encourage news coverage and create public interest
- The opportunity to learn more about social media and using it to connect with the community & to pitch stories
This internship is offered year-round. Hours are flexible but require a minimum of 150 hours per semester and 10-15 hours per week. We also welcome interns and volunteers who are not students. This is an unpaid internship. As an intern, you will be eligible to earn volunteer benefits.
To apply please send the following to Ms. Jonah Holland, PR & Marketing Coordinator at JonahH@lewisginter.org.
- 2 writing samples
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the specific internship and how this experience will help you reach your educational and career goals, and your scheduling availability (start/end dates, day/times available).
- 2 recommendations (preferably on LinkedIn)
DEADLINES FOR APPLICATIONS (SOMEWHAT FLEXIBLE):
Fall Semester/August 25
Spring Semester/November 30