Spring 2019: VCU RecSports - Photography/Videography intern (PAID)
Dec 4, 2018
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
The Marketing Assistant for Visual Media is responsible for telling the story of VCU
Rec Sports through visual communication that engages our audience, excites them about our programs, facilities, and services, and encourages them to take action to participate. This position assists in the development and implementation of the Recreational Sports strategic marketing plan.
Any interested students can apply through the posting on VCU Handshake listed under Marketing Assistant for Visual Media - Photo/Video. Contact Emily Helm, Marketing Graduate Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
The Level 1 Marketing Assistant for Visual Media’s work is coordinated by the Level 2 Marketing Manager for Visual Media, and/or the Graduate Assistant for Marketing and Communications. All student positions report to the Marketing Communication Manager.
The Marketing Assistant for Visual Media
- Maintains a consistent and professional image for Recreational Sports through the use of quality imagery and text and effective social media marketing concepts.
- Ensures all marketing messages and activities are in keeping with the mission, vision, and values of Recreational Sports.
- Ensures all marketing messages and activities are in keeping with with university, DSA and department branding.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Visual Media Planning and Implementation:
- Contributes to the strategic development of the Rec Sports marketing plan and implements promotional communication through the creation of original graphics, photography and videos.
- Graphic output applications include, but are not limited to: logos, illustrations, visual elements, layouts for digital displays, website and social media elements, print collateral, facility signage, mobile displays, print advertising, Rec Sports magazine, mobile app graphics, promotional giveaway items.
- Photographic output applications include, but are not limited to: digital displays, website, social media, print collateral, facility signage, mobile displays, print advertising, Rec Sports magazine and the mobile app.
- Video applications include, but are not limited to: content for the Rec Sports YouTube channel, embedded videos on social media, website, digital displays, and mobile app.
- Create original graphic designs to promote Rec Sports programs, facilities, events and activities on a regular and scheduled basis.
- Assists with the development of visual strategies to publicize and promote programs and facilities.
- Photograph and/or video record Rec Sports programs, facilities, events and activities on a regular and scheduled basis.
- Edit and upload completed visual output according to a production schedule for use in Rec Sports promotions.
- Collaborate with other Marketing Team members to create output appropriate to each promotion.
- Maintains a timely production schedule of all projects using team-based software. Time must be allowed for all assignments to be approved by professional staff member responsible for the program and/or marketing supervisory staff.
- Assists in the planning/implementation of several Rec Sports social media campaigns each semester in collaboration with other marketing team members.
- Implements and monitors the effectiveness of the Recreational Sports strategic marketing plan throughout the academic year.
- Provides feedback to supervisors regarding engagement with audience and effectiveness of promotional activities.
- Actively participates in Marketing team staff meetings.
- Manages personal weekly project work flow and deadlines.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least one year experience/coursework in either photography/videography/graphic design, or any combination of these skills.
- Strong graphic design, photography and/or videography skills as demonstrated through a portfolio of work.
- Proven ability to work with digital image creation and editing software (Adobe Creative Suite/Creative Cloud experience preferred)
- Proven ability to operate a DSLR camera and produce high quality images
- Strong organizational, problem solving and planning skills.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team and work independently.
- Available to work a combination of weekday, evening, and/or weekend hours dependent on program needs
- Experience developing content for marketing purposes.
- At least one year experience/coursework in a combination of photography/videography and graphic design.
- Position involves working some evening and weekend hours.
- Position is located in a non-smoking work area.
- This position is open to currently enrolled full time or part time VCU students.
- 12 hours per week.
- Federal Work Study eligible students are encouraged to apply.
SALARY: 9.00/hr to start.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Women, minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.