Spring 2019: VAEEC - Communications/Marketing Intern
Nov 27, 2018
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
Who We Are
Virginia Energy Efficiency Council, or VAEEC, is the voice for the energy efficiency industry in the Commonwealth. We are a nonprofit based in Richmond, VA. Our diverse membership includes fortune 500 companies, small businesses, nonprofits, local governments, state agencies, utilities, and individuals. VAEEC provides a platform for stakeholder engagement while assessing and supporting programs, innovation, best practices, and policies that advance energy efficiency in Virginia.
The VAEEC’s goal is to ensure energy efficiency is recognized as integral to Virginia’s economy and clean energy future. With help from our members and partners, the VAEEC is creating, implementing, and sharing energy efficiency solutions that keep costs down for residents and businesses, while improving the quality of life in our work and home environments.
Our Campaigns + Programs
The Virginia Energy Efficiency Council is focused on several program areas, including Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) financing, the Governor’s Executive Committee on Energy Efficiency, data benchmarking, buildings codes, and policy. Throughout the year, the VAEEC hosts informative calls, webinars, meetings, and events.
VAEEC believes in customizing the internship based on the intern's interest, skills, and experience.
All VAEEC interns will report directly to the Program Coordinator. There is no stipend provided for internships; however, the VAEEC will reimburse pre-approved expenses associated with the internship, such as travel.
- Opportunity for professional development and mentorship
- Completion of measurable projects
- Ability to work in a co-creative workspace
- Exposure to leaders: contact with the Executive Director, Board members, and decision makers
Internship Opportunities + Projects
The Virginia Energy Efficiency Council is seeking an attentive, organized, and motivated intern who will work directly with staff to primarily support the organization’s communication and marketing needs. Other tasks may include implementing campaigns, supporting events, assisting with research and writing projects, and managing our social media and website.
- Communications and Marketing. A Communications and Marketing intern would assist the VAEEC with all communications, social media presence, and website content. Each month, the VAEEC releases an e-newsletter. We also send several members-only and dedicated emails on the latest updates and opportunities in the energy efficiency sector. An intern would assist with assembling content, formatting, and advertising VAEEC communications.
Additionally, an intern could assist with creating graphics and event materials, as well as event communications and advertisements. Along with the VAEEC website, we have a presence on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. An intern would assist VAEEC staff with website maintenance and content updates, and create a social media plan. This plan would include a schedule of social media content in an effort to increase our online presence and number of followers, as well as to be a source for the latest energy efficiency news.
- Events and Campaigns. VAEEC events include our quarterly webinar series, workshops and lecture series on various programs, site visits with legislators, our Spring Member Meeting, and our Fall Member Meeting and Awards Ceremony. An intern would assist the Program Coordinator with these events from planning to execution to post-event needs. Additionally, an Events and Campaigns intern would assist the VAEEC on our key programs and campaigns. This includes C-PACE, regulatory / utility programs, and policy / legislation. An intern would assist with any meetings, calls, events, website updates, or communications related to these campaigns.
- Research + Writing. VAEEC tracks current articles and reports on energy efficiency in Virginia and across the nation. When new reports are released, an intern would have the opportunity to analyze the information to create blog posts. These blogs would decipher the information and findings from reports and summarize how they impact Virginians or fit into the VAEEC’s work. The blogs would then be shared on the VAEEC website, e-newsletters, and social media accounts. Additionally, there could be opportunities for an intern to assist the VAEEC on in-house reports, such as the one released in 2017, Why Energy Efficiency is a Smart Investment for Virginia. This can also include assisting staff members with grant invoices and reports.
An intern would have the flexibility to focus on just a few of the above-mentioned needs or all of the above.
Strong candidates will have the following characteristics and skills:
- Working toward or completed a BS/BA or higher
- Excellent writing skills and ability to craft content on a variety of platforms
- Strong verbal and research skills
- Familiar with Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Self-motivated, dependable, and quality-oriented
- Detail-oriented multi-tasker with the ability to think through the tactical and logistical aspects of large-scale events
- Able to work independently and proactively while meeting deadlines
- Interest in the environment, energy, and/or policy
The Virginia Energy Efficiency Council is based out of a co-working space in Richmond, VA. Interns are expected to work out of the VAEEC office located at 409 East Main Street. This is a part-time position with flexible hours. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.