Spring 2018: Virginia Retirement System (VRS) - Communications Specialist/Analyst Interns
Feb 20, 2018
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
The Virginia Retirement System (VRS), located in downtown Richmond, Virginia, has an immediate need for two interns to help produce creative, innovative, engaging and tech-forward communication for internal audiences and stakeholders.
Interns will contribute their creative ideas and their strong hands-on skills in support of agency projects and programs by writing and designing a high volume of communication products in a fast-paced environment including:
- blast email campaigns
- intranet web content (blog-style postings)
- digital signage
- video/multimedia projects
- small print publications
- talking points and speeches
- other professional business communication
Interns also will participate in communication audits, strategic communication planning, managing editorial calendars, devising content strategies and measuring effectiveness.
Interns also will help support the development of new communication technology initiatives for internal audiences.
The ideal candidates for these positions will have:
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong knowledge of AP style writing and editing principles
- Experience with creating and editing short videos (i.e. social media or “explainer” videos)
- Good organizational skills to see projects through to completion
- Knowledge of Adobe Suite design or similar programs (Photoshop or similar software)
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- High capacity to learn and apply new technologies
- Small group presentation skills to present ideas or give status reports
Interns will work on a variety of communication projects but may select to focus on projects pertaining to their academic track.
Currently pursuing a degree in public relations, communication, marketing, journalism or other closely-related field (upperclassman or graduate student preferred).
This internship will be for class credit and may culminate with a capstone project or whitepaper.
How to Apply
Send your cover letter and resume with three samples (or a link to your portfolio) to email@example.com. An assessment will be administered if selected for an interview.
Learn more about the Virginia Retirement System at www.varetire.org.