Spring 2018: Virginia 21 - Communications Intern (Deadline Dec. 15)
Dec 7, 2017
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
The spring communication intern is responsible for assisting the Director of Engagement in both online and grassroots activity including but not limited to maintaining website content, online advocacy, and social media properties for Virginia21; providing general writing, research and internal communications. The individual will specifically assist in creating and implementing a comprehensive communications plan related to the impact of state policies on millennials. This individual may receive course credit and will receive extensive practical experience in the fields of advocacy, organizing, programming, and communications. The internship will run from approximately January to April and the individual must be able to commit to at least 10-15 hours a week.
- Assists with website maintenance by creating, updating and developing web content and coordinating the production of content for Virginia21 campus chapters.
- Writes regular blog posts related to young voter interests, including higher education, job prospects, entrepreneurship, state policies, etc.
SOCIAL MEDIA & ONLINE ADVOCACY
- Posts to Virginia21’s social media channels.
- Researches graphics and news articles for sharing on social media.
- Contributes to email message planning, production, editing, and testing as well as targeting and updating email lists.
- Assists with development of online advocacy campaigns.
- Promotes online campaigns on social media.
- Works with Director of Engagement and other Virginia21 team members on content development, research and content updates.Serves as a resource for information on Virginia21 coordinated activity.
- Assists with legislative activity during the General Assembly\
- Assists Director of Engagement in lobbying and public relation activity
- Proofreads content before and after its publication to the website or social media.
- Provides regular communication and updates on all projects and tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Commit to at least 10-15 hours a week, be flexible when we hold events or coordinated actions, and have mornings free for at least two day during Monday-Thursday
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong Microsoft Office knowledge
- Current college student interested in public advocacy, politics, activism, or mass communication
- Sense of humor, and willingness to be creative
Pluses that are not required
- Political campaign, community organizing, legislative affairs experience
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud
- Experience with Squarespace website maintenance
- Basic photostory / video production and editing skills
- Ability to occasionally travel with Director of Engagement to college campuses and community organizations
Send a cover letter, resume, and one writing sample that showcases your writing ability to Tim Cywinski at Tim@virginia21.org. Applications must be received by December 15th. Feel free to send Tim an email with any questions.