Spring 2018: The Valentine - PR & Social Media Intern (Deadline Nov. 17)
Nov 7, 2017
Posted in: Advertising internships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
The Valentine seeks a highly motivated Public Relations and Social Media Intern to assist with a variety of projects ranging from basic social-media maintenance and updates to assistance in crafting a brand-new social media policy. Candidates should have a familiarity with Richmond history, a love of the River City, understanding of communications and social media practices, and be able to commit at least 12-15 hours per week.
Over the duration of the semester, the internship will require working with many departments of the museum including Development, Collections, Education, Programs, Visitor Services and Tours. Interns will also have the opportunity to attend Museum events.
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Working with the Director of Public Relations and Marketing to develop, create and hone posts on a variety of social media platforms, scheduling content and conducting research.
- Assisting with the Richmond History Makers Program, including processing the honoree nominations, assisting with mailings, and working with the Director of Public Relations and Marketing to produce relevant content
- Posting events to public calendars and the website calendar and ensuring timely updates
- Assisting in the process of streamlining website content and ensuring a unified voice
- Writing, researching, editing and posting blog entries to the Valentine website
- Assisting with special events, exhibition openings, meetings, and other administrative tasks
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience in the professional use of social media
- Working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks
- Strong work ethic and commitment to the Mission of the Valentine
- Appreciation of history, Richmond, and the creative use of PR and marketing to expand public awareness of the Valentine.
How to apply?
1. Review internship descriptions and determine which departments you’d like to work with.
2. Fill out the online application and upload an unofficial transcript, cover letter and resume.
Interns work during the business week, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:30 pm. Schedules are arranged between the intern and their supervisor.
Benefits include: 10% discounts in the Museum Store and the Valentine Garden Cafe and free admission to the Valentine Galleries during the internship period.
Summer Intern parking is fully covered by the Valentine at the MCV Hospital and Museum visitor deck. The Valentine’s small lot is slots reserved for visitors, members and appointments.