Spring 2018: RVA Mag / GayRVA - Editorial / Video Intern (Deadline December 10)
Dec 6, 2017
Posted in: Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships
Do you or someone you know have the writing chops to seek out and deliver compelling stories on the latest in music, art, food, beer, politics and current events in Richmond? Well, you’re in luck, because the editors of RVA Mag and GayRVA.com are in need of editorial and video interns for our upcoming spring session!
We’re looking to fill about eight slots for people who are passionate, creative, hard-working, and willing to learn and better themselves under the guidance of two professional media outlets here in Richmond. You will cover artists, musicians, fashion, craft beer, restaurants, film, theatre, and more. RVA Mag is also looking for interns who have a strong interest in politics at all levels: local, state, national and the intersections between them. This interest will include reporting on policy and identity issues, writing opinion pieces (if comfortable), and going out on the beat with our staff’s reporting team to political events and press conferences. Must have a strong understanding of the conversation that surrounds these issues and how they connect across modern media platforms, specifically social media.
We are also looking for strong voices to be able to report on women’s issues throughout the Commonwealth, as well as writing about women’s empowerment in all aspects of politics, policy, and gender identity. Must have a strong understanding of the conversation that surrounds these issues.
Ideal candidates will:
- Attend college and be in need of 2-3 credits through their scholastic program
- Have 2-3 days availability during the week, with the freedom to attend events in the evening
- Have a laptop, digital camera, digital voice recorder, and/or smartphone
- Be willing to work hard
- Understand the responsibilities involved when committing to a project
- Have experience writing non-fiction
- Have an open mind, with the willingness to cover issues and topics that might be altogether new to you
Attending a college program is not required, but those not in a program should be able to show a history of successful writing or commitment to a long-term project.
Editorial Internship Details:
1. Writing – You will be responsible for some of the more regular weekly content: news writing, event previews, album reviews, business listing updates, political updates.
2. Interviewing – you will be speaking to LOTS of different people. The voices of the city and state help define a publication, and you will be seeking out those voices.
3. Pitching and developing long-form stories – we want to help you get published, we want to see you succeed. We’ll help you get there.
Video Intern Details
We are looking for several individuals who can ideally pitch, shoot, edit and produce compelling video on breaking news and feature stories for RVA Mag as well as GayRVA and our social media. Candidates should be studying journalism, film, or another related field, but all applicants with video or multimedia experience will be considered. Must have strong narrative storytelling skills, ability to meet deadlines, and ability to work with video team. Those who own or are familiar with a DSLR camera will be considered first. Experience with Final Cut Pro, Final Cut X or similar video editing software a plus.
Please send resume, cover letter, reel and any related work to Landon Shroder at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What you will get out of the internship program:
- An understanding of the daily operations of an independent publication in a medium market town
- The independence to cover stories and issues which interest you
- Lots and lots of clips
- Long form and short form writing experience
- Multi-media web-based project experience
- Access to shows, parties, and events
What we need from you:
- Availability from Jan. 8th – May 11th
- Cover letter detailing why we should bring you on board
- One short writing sample
Please send an email to Amy David at email@example.com and put “Internship Submission” as the subject line. Deadline for submission is December 10.
Both are unpaid internships.
We are always seeking to diversify our newsroom, LGBTQ and minority students are very much encouraged to apply.