Spring 2018: City & Schools Partnership - Communications Intern
Dec 13, 2017
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
Brief Overview: The United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg is committed to empowering individuals and addressing systemic problems to provide everyone with a clear path to success. The City and Schools Partnership's mission is to create the climate and conditions for every child to succeed by providing a sustainable, coordinated system of supports and access. Supporting Petersburg City Public Schools, the partnership is a coalition of nonprofit, business, religious, and government (local and state) organizations that work together under the direction of the superintendent and city manager to ensure the success of every student.
Job Duties: The City and Schools Partnership is currently working to ramp up our internal and external communications. To that end, a communications action group will be convened to lead creation of a communications plan, as well as provide high level recommendations for next steps to the partnership’s steering committee. This intern will be responsible for leading research on best practices around creating a communications plan as well as options and opportunities for communications tools specific to the partnership, and for administrative tasks related to convening the workgroup (internal communications, scheduling meetings, providing presentations). The ideal end product for this internship is creation of a communications plan (under the direction of the executive director and action group) that will be implemented by a real organization in collaboration with a community and school system.
Preferred Qualifications: The preferred candidate will be/have:
- An undergraduate (junior or senior) or graduate student in a communications-related field of study
- A commitment to serving his/her/their community
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Excellent computer skills with experience in performing online research, using social media tools, and Microsoft Office
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Dependability and flexibility
- Openness to learning and growing through the experience
- Creative and enthusiastic about gaining new knowledge
- Reliable transportation to the United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg Office
This listing is intended to describe the general nature of the work, and this is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills. The intern may be asked to perform duties as assigned.
How to Apply: Send a resume and cover letter to: Audrey Trussell at email@example.com