Spring 2017: Virginia DMV - Communications Intern
Jan 20, 2017
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), a state agency serving millions of Virginia residents and businesses each year, is accepting applications for an internship in the agency’s Communications Office.
Intern Responsibilities: Interns in the Communications Office acquire hands-on experience in many aspects of public relations and communications. Assigned tasks may include writing press releases, social media posts, text for posters and publications, and internal newsletter articles, as well as assisting with public information campaigns and community outreach. A successful intern should expect to leave DMV with several samples of work for his or her portfolio.
- A student pursuing a degree in mass communications, marketing or a similar field
- Strong written and oral communication skills and familiarity with AP style
- Ability to take on a variety of projects and produce quality copy by assigned deadlines
- A strong sense of professionalism and teamwork and a desire to learn
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
How to apply: This is an unpaid internship based at DMV Headquarters at 2300 W. Broad St., Richmond. A selected intern must be eligible for course credit and must commit to a consistent schedule developed around his or her class schedule in order to fulfill required credit hours. Hours can be worked during the Communications Office’s normal business hours, 8:15 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. DMV is closed on state holidays.
To apply, please submit a résumé, a cover letter outlining your applicable experience and qualifications, and three samples of your work to: Brandy Brubaker at DMV Communications Office, P.O. Box 27412, Richmond, VA 23269 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the agency, visit dmvNOW.com.