Spring 2017: Equality Virginia - Marketing & Communications Interns
Jan 20, 2017
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
Equality Virginia is Virginia’s LGBTQ Media Company. We are the only statewide media platform for issues relating to Virginia’s LGBTQ and allied communities. Our mission is to promote equality through storytelling. Founded in 2015, Equality Virginia produces a bi-monthly print magazine and maintains a robust website as well as a growing social media presence.
Equality Virginia seeks dynamic, self-starters to assist marketing and communications efforts. This internship is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of marketing while working for a young, exciting and growing media organization.
- Develop sales, content and partnership leads by establishing relationships with businesses and organizations across VA & DC
- Following-up with each lead and documenting all communications and progress into a customer relationship management software and keeping senior staff apprised of progress.
- Create comprehensive database of targeted businesses and community organizations
- Update and maintain Equality Virginia’s social media presence, including daily monitoring, posting, scheduling and reporting Facebook updates
- Assist in planning, writing and managing e-blasts and e-newsletters
- Draft, distribute and pitch news releases, media alerts and other stories
- Manage editorial and event calendars
- Design flyers, graphics, e-vites and other marketing material
- Update the organization’s website regularly
- Collaborate with staff on new ideas, directions, and tools for marketing and communications
- Be able to wear multiple hats in a fast-paced, small business work environment and meet all necessary deadlines
- Prepare weekly reports and maintain regular contact with supervisor
- Firm grasp of available tools and platforms in the social media space
- Completed or working toward a college degree (junior level and up), preferably in a related field (e.g., English, Marketing/Communications, Advertising or Public Relations)
- Previous internship or related experience in marketing or communications a plus
- Understanding of the basic principles of public relations and/or marketing
- Must be computer literate (working knowledge of word processing, PowerPoint, Excel). Proficiency in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop highly desired.
- Knowledge of HTML, website content management and graphic design a plus
- Possess excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with press and community contacts
- Ability to work well independently, and within a team
- Commitment to cultural sensitivity and respect for differences
- Commitment to the continuous improvement of service quality and the organization’s mission
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER / DRUG FREE WORKPLACE