Fall 2021: Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority - Communications Intern (PAID)
Aug 10, 2021
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
Description of Organization:
Virginia ABC is charged with a mission of generating a reliable stream of revenue for Virginia and promoting public safety through the responsible sale and regulation of alcoholic beverages. The agency promotes the responsible consumption and distribution of spirits by its 19,000 licensees to persons of age and advocates a zero-tolerance for underage consumption using prevention initiatives that focus on environmental, educational and information dissemination strategies. Virginia ABC operates 395 conveniently located retail stores that supply a consistent source of revenue to Virginia. The authority transferred more than $2.3 billion to Virginia’s general fund in the last five years.
General duties of the Communications Intern:
- Researching and writing basic stories for the agency’s internal and external publications.
- Assisting with social media posts.
- Writing employee profile features for the agency’s internal SharePoint site.
- Electronic filing of digital photographs.
- Contributing general office and project support for the 10-member Communications Division.
- Current senior or recent graduate of a communications/public relations/journalism program.
- Strong writing skills.
- Knowledge of SharePoint and publishing software a plus.
- Ability to work on deadline.
- Strong desire to work in a business environment.
- Ability to work alone as well as part of the communications team.
Internship training includes:
- News release formats and AP style.
- Internal communications.
- How to write to encourage news coverage and create public interest.
- Participation at PRSA Richmond Chapter monthly luncheon meetings.
This paid ($15/hour) internship is available immediately. The position is limited to no more than 25 hours a week. Although an in-office presence is strongly preferred, after an initial orientation there will be opportunities to work remotely.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Carol Mawyer, PR Manager, Virginia ABC at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be prepared to share writing samples if granted an interview.