Fall 2021: The Giving Heart - PR Intern
Jul 23, 2021
Posted in: Internships & scholarships, Public Relations internships
The Giving Heart is a 501c3 nonprofit in the Richmond Metropolitan Area. Our mission is to provide food, fellowship and essential items to those in need. This all-volunteer nonprofit currently provides two programs in our area - the Community Thanksgiving Feast and Secret Senior Valentine Bags.
Fall Internship Opportunity
PR Intern - Community Thanksgiving Feast
In this role, you will be responsible for a majority of PR needs - social media, newsprint, radio - not needed by the Founding Director. Will work with the Founding Director to discuss vision, needs and ideas to expand current PR practices. Creativity is highly encouraged and a commitment to spreading the word - for volunteer needs and Community awareness - is essential as this is a timely event (Thanksgiving Day). Note: You DO NOT need to be present at the event, though we encourage attendance if you are in town and would like to personally experience the fruits of your labor.
Some of the areas that are important - and can be divided into more then one internship if necessary - are:
- Social media postings, including our FB and Twitter pages
- Creating visuals for things like Instagram and/or Pinterest
- Connecting with social services and social-oriented nonprofits to share our event to their clients
- Possible creation of Giving Heart or Community Feast brochures/flyers to help educate potential donors or those who could attend.
- Assisting with radio, newspaper and/or magazine interviews or articles about various aspects: i.e., donation needs, volunteer help, event information for attendees. (This is expandable and would be best for someone willing to understand every aspect of the event to ensure accurate information is provided).
We'd love to work with someone who is not only willing to understand what we do in the community, but can be open to presenting their own suggestions and ideas on how to broaden our PR needs. This role is virtual and completely flexible with hours. Busiest time will be mid-October to mid-November with earlier need to be learning, putting things in place, creating contact lists, etc. MUST be able to respond to emails fairly quick as any deadlines would approach. A few zoom meetings will be done, primarily to set things up and discuss PR plans, but you're also welcome to be part of any volunteer zoom meetings to allow you to better understand what is occurring throughout the planning process (note: Most of these meetings are in the evening or on a weekend with advance notice).
Social media knowledge of posting (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest) is a must.
To apply, send a letter of introduction to Vicki Neilson, Founding and Executive Director, The Giving Heart at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check us out at www.thegivingheart.org. Tell us about yourself, how you can fit in with our needs and how you think this would be a great addition to your learning/educational experience.