Fall 2021: SAARA - Communications Intern (PAID)
Sep 17, 2021
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
Anticipated Start Date & end date Late Sept/Early October 2021- May 2022
Intern position(s) available 1-3
Anticipated workload 10-20 hours per week
Compensation $500 stipend & academic credit (based on program requirements)
Description of responsibilities
The Substance Abuse and Addiction Recovery Alliance of Virginia (SAARA) is seeking 1-3 Communications Intern(s) to support the organization's communications plan for 2021-22.
SAARA is a statewide nonprofit that advocates educates, and supports individuals affected by substance use disorder.
SAARA seeks a dynamic, self-starter to assist marketing and communications efforts. This internship is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of communications and marketing while working in a casual work environment. The SAARA Communications Internship is a professional skills internship to assist the Communications Manager in implementing organizational communications and marketing strategies. The Communications Intern will work independently and, in a team, to fulfill organizational goals and initiatives related to programming and events.
- Assist in planning, writing, and managing advocacy alerts and e-newsletters.
- Update organization website using WordPress with current events, relevant news, etc.
- Design event/program fliers, graphics, and other marketing material
- Update all bulletin boards around building on an ongoing basis
- Update and maintain SAARA’s social media presence, including daily monitoring, posting, scheduling, and reporting Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter updates to Provide input for creative marketing strategies and social media campaigns
- Manage editorial and event calendars
- Create online advertisements as needed
- Collaborate with staff on innovative ideas, directions, and tools for marketing and communications
- Firm grasp of social media tools and platforms including Facebook, Instagram etc.
- Completed or working toward a college degree (junior level and up), preferably in a related field (e.g., English, Marketing/Communications, Advertising or Public Relations)
- Previous internship or related experience in marketing or communications a plus
- Understanding of the basic principles of public relations and/or marketing
- Must be computer literate (working knowledge of word processing, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop is highly desired. Canva**
- Knowledge of HTML, website content management and graphic design a plus
- Possess excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills Genuine enthusiasm for creating compelling marketing materials to support SAARA’s programming and advocacy
- Self-starter, good time management, creative, with ability to communicate in a professional manner
- Ability to work well independently, and within a team
- Commitment to the continuous improvement of service quality and the organization’s mission
Please submit your resume & cover letter to with “SAARA Intern” in the subject line to Maggie at email@example.com