Fall 2021: Metropolitan Business League - Program Assistant Intern
Aug 23, 2021
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
For over 50 years, the Metropolitan Business League (MBL) has been the backbone for the development, support, and advancement of small, minority, and women-owned businesses in the Richmond and tri-cities area. The Metropolitan Business League, a non-profit business member organization, is seeking a few Program Interns/Volunteers 10-20 hr/wk. Please visit www.thembl.org for more information about our organization.
- Assist with special event planning
- Provide support to program staff on special projects, initiatives and implement an internship project
- Enter and edit data entry in Excel database
- Assist with general office tasks (filing, copying, organizing digital photos, etc.) as needed
- Contact members via phone calls and emails regarding membership and special events
- Assisting in the preparation and execution of special events designed for public outreach and media relations
- Conducting market research to assess the efficacy of our brand
- Expanding business contacts via personal networking or attendance at events
- Creating written content for Website and social media (internal or external sites)
- Copy editing of marketing material
- Writing newsletters and other material to foster organizational engagement
- Communication tools- emails, letters, community presentations
- Assisting with public relations and community outreach
- Maintain and update website with content
- Maintain social media accounts using Hootsuite
- Assisting with development of program specific grant proposals
- Performing grant writing, grant management, funding opportunity research, resource research.
Skills Gained Include:
- Learning successful grant-writing techniques and gaining development cooperation.
- Learning about how a non-profit secures funding
- Provide an inside look at the day-to-day operations of a non-profit as well as the strategic decision making inherent in the responsibilities of an Executive Director
- Increasing communication skills - written and oral
- Technical Skills- Word, Excel, PowerPoint. etc
- Excellent organization skills
- Commitment to Non-Profits and purpose of organization
- Ability to work independently
- Good written and verbal communication
- Positive attitude.
- Dependable and punctual team player
- Ability to work with the public in a professional manner
Must have reliable transportation and hold a valid Driver’s License
Must be open to background check
Duration: Available now, Internships will be available during the fall and spring and summer semesters.
Compensation: This is an unpaid internship; however, students may receive course credit or work study compensation if eligible.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to bend, stoop, reach, pull, push, stand, kneel, sit, twist, turn, walk, bend at the waist, talk and hear, vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, ability to adjust focus, and prolong computer work. The employee must regularly lift and/or move objects up to twenty pounds. Employee may be called upon to work outdoors in varying temperatures and weather conditions.
Hybrid(virtual/optional in-person for events)
To Apply: Email your resume with cover letter to Allison Hunter firstname.lastname@example.org