Fall 2021: Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden - Social Media & PR Intern (Deadline Aug. 15)
Aug 10, 2021
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
Social Media & Public Relations Intern
The PR department strives to build the Lewis Ginter Botanical brand through all communication and concentrates efforts on publicity or "free" exposure for the Garden. By supporting all areas of the Garden, public relations and marketing work to entice people to visit and to engage them in a relationship with the Garden.
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden connects people through plants to improve communities.
General job duties of Public Relations Interns:
- Work with the director of public relations and public relations coordinator to help meet the needs of reporters and photographers.
- Help update calendar events on the Garden's website
- Post Garden info to websites such as tourism sites and media calendars
- Research and write basic news releases
- Take and upload digital photos of the Garden
- Assist with events as needed
- Provide general office and project support for the PR & Marketing Dept.
- Assist in supporting the Garden's social media efforts as needed, including filming and edit movies.
- Write blog posts and tell stories for the Garden's blog.
- Strong writing & communication skills
- Ability to work on computers and use a digital camera
- Some simple graphic design skills and the ability to use or to learn Photoshop & WordPress
- Should be prepared to work in a business environment
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Should be able to work alone and as part of a team
- Should be able to multitask
- Experience using Flickr, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+, blogging is helpful
Internship training includes:
- Social media training & using social media to connect with the community & to pitch stories
- Press release formats and AP style
- How to write to encourage news coverage and create public interest
This internship is offered year-round. Hours are flexible but require a minimum of 150 hours per semester and 10-15 hours per week. We also welcome interns and volunteers who are not students. This is an unpaid internship. As an intern, you will be eligible to earn volunteer benefits.
To apply please send the following to Ms. Jonah Holland, Digital Content Manager at JonahH@lewisginter.org.
- 2 writing samples
- An informal cover letter (can be an email) detailing your interest in the specific internship and how you hope this experience will help you reach your educational and career goals. Please also let us know if you plan to pursue this internship for credit and list your scheduling availability (start/end dates, days/times available).
- 2 recommendations on LinkedIn
Deadlines for applications:
Fall Semester/August 15