Fall 2020: Virginia Museum of History & Culture - Marketing Intern (Website & Social Media)
Aug 14, 2020
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
Title: Marketing Intern – Website & Social Media
Division: Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Manager of Digital Engagement
Position Status: Part-time; Non-Exempt
The Virginia Museum of History & Culture is the oldest cultural organization in Virginia and one of the oldest and most distinguished history organizations in the nation. While the museum collects, cares for, and tells the story of the Commonwealth’s complex history, it is also dedicated to connecting with new audiences and representing all Virginians.
We are seeking a Marketing Intern for Fall 2020 with a passion for Virginia history as well as knowledge and experience with project management, website content development, and digital marketing.
This position will be remote for the foreseeable future.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serve as project manager for a comprehensive inventory and update of website content
- Work with curators and collections, programming, and education staff to conduct a complete review of content
- Assist with editing and consolidating content to enhance the user experience as well as determine gaps where new content should be developed
- Identify need for new images and graphics; work with staff photographer and designer to fulfill deliverables
- Conduct accessibility review of website, improve alt text for site images and provide suggestions for image alt text on social media
- Produce new video content
- Plan and create short videos of historical figures, objects, and/or events for use on social media and website
- Perform duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Necessary:
• Ability to work independently and remotely
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Experience with Drupal or other content management software
• Experience editing/producing video
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• Ability to respond to shifting needs and meet deadlines
• Experience using multiple social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
• Ability to connect with diverse audiences and partners
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Undergraduate student in a degree program for marketing, communications, history, technology or another applicable field with a 3.0 GPA or higher
- High level of comfort using new tech interfaces
- Solid grasp of grammatical rules and current language trends
- Prior internship or work experience, especially in a social or digital marketing role
- Knowledge of/interest in Virginia history a plus
Note & Special Requirements:
Hours: Flexible work hours around student’s schedule. 1-2 semesters beginning in Fall 2020. 10-12 hours per week on average.
Location: Remote, with ability to voice and/or video call for communications with staff members.
If interested in this job opportunity, please apply and upload your resume to
The Virginia Museum of History & Culture is owned and operated by the Virginia Historical Society — a private, non-profit organization established in 1831. The historical society is the oldest cultural organization in Virginia, and one of the oldest and most distinguished history organizations in the nation. For use in its state history museum and its renowned research library, the historical society cares for a collection of nearly nine million items representing the ever-evolving story of Virginia. The Virginia Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.