Fall 2019: Richmond Community ToolBank - Outreach & Marketing Intern
Aug 19, 2019
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Public Relations internships
—About the ToolBank—
The Richmond Community ToolBank, a proud affiliate of ToolBank USA, empowers the entire nonprofit and volunteer sector in Central Virginia with the literal tools organizations need to accomplish volunteer-powered projects of any size or scope. We steward a vast inventory of 200+ types of tools & equipment in a beautiful 10,000 square foot warehouse centrally located in Scott’s Addition. We loan our tools & equipment exclusively to nonprofits and charitable-intended community groups at just 3% of the tools’ retail value in order to save organizations time, money and labor from having to own a huge number of tools outright. We’re serious about community impact and all about having fun doing it.
Now in our fourth year of service to the Richmond market, we have loaned tools & equipment to over 200 not-for-profit members and nearly 70,000 volunteers on 4,200+ projects. At just 3% of the real cost of owning those tools, we’ve saved our members $2.5million on nearly 1,500 individual tool orders. From playground builds to community farm installation to street murals, greenspace cleanup and so much more, Richmond’s cityscape is safer, more beautiful and equitable thanks to the thousands of volunteers that use ToolBank tools throughout our City every year.
—It’s Time to Grow—
The Richmond ToolBank has enjoyed incredible growth and impact in our 4.5 years of operation. But we know that we have a lot of opportunity ahead of us to equip more volunteers to do more great works while saving organizations huge amounts of money. So, we’re beginning to amplify our stakeholder communications and outreach efforts with the goal of developing more illustrative and compelling communications that are distributed throughout our stakeholder network.
We currently use Instagram, Facebook and email marketing minimally so these are the channels we’ll concentrate on elevating. Additionally, we’ll be overhauling our website within the year and must develop a more robust archive of written and visual content that will help visitors understand the incredible positive community impact that comes out of high-energy volunteers empowered with high-quality ToolBank tools & equipment by highlighting member stories from all over the city.
—Duties and Responsibilities—
The Outreach and Marketing will work in close collaboration with the Executive Director to create and execute a new communications plan based on the ToolBank’s organizational goals. Together, we’ll build a semester-long work plan based on the comms plan that includes visits to partner projects, our warehouse, special events and other sites as needed to capture different modes of our operations that will be documented for publication on social and website platforms.
Although the Executive Director will guide the general work plan based on ToolBank’s organizational goals and objectives, the intern will be responsible for imparting their own ideas, voice and creativity into the plan and content. The intern will also be responsible for:
- Independently structuring work times based on personal schedule and ToolBank needs
- Creating, editing and documenting/filing original content
- Communicating with Executive Director, Program Manager and ToolBank partners clearly, consistently and professionally
- Managing their own transportation
- Acquiring and using and necessary photo or video equipment needed through the VCU Media Center or other sources
- Being organized and efficient
The Outreach position is focused on creating written, photo and video content for the purposes of:
- Telling the ToolBank story
- Highlighting the awesome work of our 200+ not-for-profit members
- Promoting events and opportunities to engage with the ToolBank
- Archiving content for use in future online and print communications
The ideal candidate will therefore need to possess some key skills and qualifications
- Understand and preferably have experience developing professional communications plans for multiple audiences and channels
- Have a robust understanding of Instagram and Facebook uses for marketing
- Be thoughtful, expressive and strategic in written and spoken English
- Be capable of basic video and photo editing
- Have experience with basic publishing and design applications
- Have experience using or a driven desire to quickly learn how to use email marketing tools like Mail Chimp
- Be personally organized and disciplined in planning, thought and execution of ideas
- Have your own means of transportation or command of public forms of transportation
- Feel comfortable and willing to share thoughts, ideas and criticisms constructively
Apply by email to Toby Vernon, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A resume showing all professionally relevant work
- At least two examples of your most relevant work
- A personal statement of sorts
- Two professional references