Fall 2018: VCU Career Services - Communications Assistant (PAID)
Jul 9, 2018
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
Apply through HireVCURams (https://careers.vcu.edu/undergraduates/)
HireVCURams Job ID: 32866
Required documents: Resume, Cover Letter, Portfolio, Writing Samples
VCU Career Services
VCU Career Services is looking for a bright and energetic individual to work under the direction of the communications specialist. The communications assistant will contribute to our website, email campaigns, social media platforms, event marketing, and overall promotion of the services we offer to VCU students. With the communications specialist, you will conceptualize and develop marketing materials based on knowledge of layout principles and design concepts.
You will be responsible for creating custom flyers, posters, AXIS TV graphics, infographics, signs and website elements using Adobe Creative Suite. The communications assistant will coordinate multiple design projects to ensure they meet print and posting deadlines. The assistant will also assist with the management and growth of Career Services social media accounts. Other duties as assigned.
If you're interested in learning and growing in a fast-paced environment, and would enjoy working cross-functionally with an event management student worker, we want to hear from you.
- Assist with the marketing of VCU Career Services events and services. This involves gaining an understanding of how our office can help students at all stages in their career journey.
- Improve social media strategy, catered to each semester and increase interaction on all forms of department social media – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
- Submit events to VCU TelegRAM, AXIS televisions, and other campus event platforms
- Photograph and edit LinkedIn profile photos for students who visit our office
- Co-manage the deployment of a Career Fair Street Team for event promotion
- Be on-site on event days to assist with day-of promotion and logistics
- Work professionally with students, staff, faculty, and employers
- Successfully meet deadlines
- Demonstrate a high standard of ethics and maintain a dedication to academic excellence
- Assist in the identification and development of other marketing avenues for VCU Career Services
- Federal work-study required. Position may be altered to accommodate interns or non-federal work-study students.
- Rising sophomore or junior level classification preferred
- Proven prior experience with Adobe Creative Suite including - InDesign and Photoshop
- Knowledge of design principles and practices required
- Willingness to learn and apply VCU brand standards
- Ability to conceptualize and design with basic instructions and minimal supervision
- Must be able to manage multiple projects and adhere to strict deadlines
- Must have excellent oral and written communications skills and demonstrate a proficiency in AP style
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Interest in event marketing and management
- Basic knowledge of photography principles