Fall 2017: The Valentine Museum - Development Intern and PR & Social Media Intern (Deadline Aug. 30)
Aug 25, 2017
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
Fall 2017 Internship Opportunities and Descriptions
Development Department Internship:
The Development intern will provide a wide range of database, research, administrative, and general support to the Valentine’s development team. This job involves assisting the development staff in entering data into Raisers Edge, filing constituent information, fulfilling auction requests, and assisting with special events on and off site. Interns will be provided an opportunity to gain experience in and familiarity with areas such as fundraising, philanthropy, nonprofit development, The Raisers Edge database and the day-to-day operations of a nonprofit organization with a local reach.
Candidates should be pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in a related field, have strong attention to detail and a basic understanding of development and nonprofits.
Public Relations and Social Media Internship
The Valentine seeks a highly motivated Public Relations and Social Media Intern to assist with a variety of projects ranging from basic social-media maintenance and updates to assistance in crafting a brand-new social media policy. Candidates should have a familiarity with Richmond history, a love of the River City, understanding of communications and social media practices, and be able to commit at least 12-15 hours per week.
Over the duration of the semester, the internship will require working with many departments of the museum including Development, Collections, Education, Programs, Visitor Services and Tours. Interns will also have the opportunity to attend Museum events.
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Working with the Director of Public Relations and Marketing to develop, create and hone posts on a variety of social media platforms, scheduling content and conducting research.
- Assisting with the Richmond History Makers Program, including processing the honoree nominations, assisting with mailings, and working with the Director of Public Relations and Marketing to produce relevant content
- Posting events to public calendars and the website calendar and ensuring timely updates
- Assisting in the process of streamlining website content and ensuring a unified voice
- Writing, researching, editing and posting blog entries to the Valentine website
- Assisting with special events, exhibition openings, meetings, and other administrative tasks
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience in the professional use of social media
- Working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks
- Strong work ethic and commitment to the Mission of the Valentine
- Appreciation of history, Richmond, and the creative use of PR and marketing to expand public awareness of the Valentine.