2019-2020: Student Job/Internship - VCU Libraries - Affordable Course Content Student Ambassador (PAID)
Aug 24, 2019
Posted in: Advertising internships, Internships & scholarships, Journalism internships, Public Relations internships
The high cost of textbooks has been shown to have an adverse impact on students’ academic experience, from which classes they choose to their ability to succeed in those classes. Free course materials remove this barrier to access, and course materials with open licenses also allow faculty to tailor materials to their specific classes. VCU Libraries is committed to assisting faculty in the adoption, customization, and creation of free and open materials. More information on our open affordable course content initiative can be found at go.vcu.edu/textbooksavings.
The Affordable Course Content Assistant will assist in the promotion of the open and affordable course content initiative to the VCU community. The position will be responsible for planning and participating in outreach events for both students and faculty and creating educational and promotional materials. Opportunities to assist with other aspects of the initiative, such as the Affordable Course Content Awards, may also be available, depending on the interests of the successful applicant.
This position will be a part of VCU Libraries’ Scholarly Communications and Publishing division, which is responsible for enriching scholarship, learning, and clinical care through engagement with contemporary research issues and technology.
Under the supervision of a faculty member from the Scholarly Communications and Publishing division, the assistant will:
- Act as a student ambassador for the libraries’ open and affordable course content initiative
- Identify opportunities for outreach and advocacy to faculty and students
- Plan and participate in outreach events for faculty and students
- Develop promotional materials, such as web content or handouts, educating faculty and students about the open and affordable course content initiative
- Assist with the open and affordable course content initiative as needed, including assisting with the Affordable Course Content Award program,
tracking student savings, and communicating impact.
- Research best practices and emerging opportunities in open and affordable course content initiatives
- Communicate with stakeholders from around VCU and the greater Open Education community
Skills and experience
Excellent oral and written communication skills. Interest in learning about utilizing affordable course content and open educational resources to reduce student costs and improve student success.
Experience in communication, program planning, advocacy, or student government. Interest in issues of access and equity in higher education. Ability to work with a group and independently. Ability to meet deadlines. Experience working in a culturally diverse environment.
$11 per hour.
The assistant will work an average of 10 hours per week over the Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 semesters, with the potential to continue into the next academic year. Some outreach events may be scheduled outside of regular weekly work hours. Start and end dates are flexible.
Please send a resume and a brief cover letter addressing your interest in the position and qualifications to Jessica Kirschner at email@example.com.